Thursday, May 14, 2009

E-mail from Representaive Bart Gordon

I pass this along from Representative Bart Gordon:

Dear David,

I'm writing to ensure you have the information you need about the recent discovery that veterans who received endoscopic procedures at the Alvin C. York VA facility in Murfreesboro may have been exposed to contaminated equipment that puts them at risk of potentially serious infection, including HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis B or C.

If you or someone you know received a colonoscopy or other endoscopic procedure between April 23, 2003 and December 1, 2008, you can call 1-877-345-8555 to set up an appointment for a free blood test. If you test positive, there are a number of actions you can take to get additional help. Please contact my Murfreesboro office at (615)896-1986 for assistance.

The VA activated a web page at http://www.va.gov/ to provide updated information on the recent endoscopy issues that affected the Murfreesboro, Augusta, and Miami VA Medical Centers. Once at the website above, click on "Endoscopic Reports" in the blue field on the right-hand side of the page.

In February, I sent a letter to VA Under Secretary for Health, Michael Kussman, asking that detailed information be made available about the situation. You can view my letter and Under Secretary Kussman's response at www.bart.house.gov/letters. I also called on the VA Inspector General to launch a formal investigation and the House Veterans' Affairs Committee to hold congressional hearings to examine why these problems happened and ensure they never happen again. I will continue working with my colleagues in Congress to hold the VA accountable for following up and taking care of the men and women veterans affected by this situation. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with Middle Tennessee veterans during this difficult time.

I've also been working hard to improve veteran and military retiree benefits. To view my legislative priorities for the 111th Congress, go to http://gordon.house.gov/PDF/Priorities.pdf. Again, my staff stands ready to answer any questions you may have. Do not hesitate to call my Murfreesboro office at (615)896-1986 for additional help.



Stay in touch,
BART GORDONMember of CongressP.S. To receive e-mail about important issues and services for your family and to sign up for E-News, click here.

No comments: